Despite what breastfeeding proponents want you to believe, breastfeeding is hard. The early
days weeks are exhausting, painful, frustrating. Your body is not yours, you are still healing from birth and for many of us, you wander zombie like throughout the day in a sopping wet shirt. Regardless of the difficulties, there comes a moment when you realize that breastfeeding your baby is purely and simply amazing.
I am not talking about the clichéd reasons breastfeeding is wonderful… No bottles to clean. Milk is always warm and ready. Its free. Etc. I am talking about the little reasons that you eventually come to love breastfeeding. The reasons that make your heart sing.
- I love the way he gets all excited when we are getting ready to sit in his “eating spot.”
- I love the way he closes his eyes in pure contentment while he eats.
- And the way he holds my thumb and rubs it in his palm.
- Or how he grabs his little foot and stretches it when he’s just having a “snack.”
- I love how when he’s getting full, he pulls back and smiles.
- And then the milk dribbles down his chubby chin.
- I love that when he is getting hungry. he will pull open the top of my shirt and look down, as if to say, “what’s cooking?”
- I love this funny little noise he makes that sounds a bit like “oieey oieey oh.” – I call it his breastfeeding song.
- and that his first baby sign was milk.
- Mostly I just love it all. Every minute. Every feeding.
All of these little things I love are fading by the day. He is becoming more independent and growing up so quickly. It’s hard to believe that he will be my last breastfed baby.
So I am just trying to capture every little memory.
What do you love about breastfeeding?